Friday, November 4, 2011

They want us to BOW DOWN.

With lyrics . . .

 Has kind of a Third Reich ring to it, don't you think?

The longest winning streak Washington had over Oregon was six games, done more than once. Oregon eclipsed that streak last year by beating the Dawgs for the seventh consecutive time.

An eighth victory tomorrow would just be gravy, right? I wish I could believe that, but the thought of the Huskies winning even one game is harrowing.

This year we all wanted the Ducks to beat LSU, and we're really hoping they beat Stanford next week. Of course we want to beat the Beavers, and we really want the Ducks to win their bowl game, wherever it may be.

But I must say, I cannot breathe until we notch another win on the Dawgs. I have more anxiety for this game than any other this season. It's not because I'm afraid Oregon will lose. I'm afraid of what will happen if Washington wins.

The Oregonian asked it's readers, "Why do you hate the Huskies so much?". Below are a few of the comments:

Most fans in the NW talk about how "arrogant" the ducks are, and I agree to an extent. This used to be the Huskies, and still is for that matter. I once saw a shirt in the late '90's that said " UW Huskies, we aren't arrogant, we are just better than you."
I hate the huskies and their fans with every ounce of my being. I don't care that the ducks have won 7 in a row, I want to win by 50. Go Ducks!
______________________
All the NW schools hate the huskies. It's because they beat the living crap out of the other NW schools for 50 years.

______________________
I never hated the huskies... until they danced on the "O" after a victory. That was, of course, an indication of their classless coach, but that act made me hate the Huskies more than any other team. It is forever emblazoned in my mind and will never dissipate regardless of how many times we thump them... I don't care if we win 100-0 for the next 30 years, that image will ALWAYS get me riled up...
______________________
uw and their fans have arrogance built right in. They've set it in stone with their pompous fight song: "Bow Down to Washington". Other schools fight songs urge their teams on to victory or reflect on past glories. At uw, it's "Bow down to us. We're better than you." The height of arrogance.
______________________
Under-30 Duck here ... I grew up a UCLA fan on the mean streets of Orange County and always saw UW as the USC of the North. The Huskies competed for Rose Bowl berths and national title year in and year out through the late 80s and early 90s and were still just as prominent in my eyes during their probative years in the mid- to late-90s. I was impressed by them. I even enjoyed watching UW during the Marques Tuiasosopo (spelling?) years. But once I received my acceptance letter from UO, all that admiration turned to loathing, albeit respectful loathing.
First day of college, a friend of mine on the same door floor – he's a Duck lifer – taught me two things: Never leave a game early and hate Washington.
Huskies beat us in a driving rain by 40 that year in Autzen. We stayed until the end.
______________________
For us much older - we can remember the insults of the past - the Washington vote that put the duck out of the rose bowl - right up to the Huskies (team) dancing on the center field after beating the ducks in Autzen. We have a long history of hatred, and for those of you that are too young to remember all that - you will certainly learn that this game means more than just a W in the win column.
______________________
If you really want to know why we hate the huskies - wear Oregon colors to a game up in Seattle and you'll come away understanding why...... very simple - the fans and the players up there are idiots.

For me it was 1983 at Autzen. The Huskies brought their band, which was much bigger, louder, more organized than ours. Before the game, legend has it that Husky DL Steve Emtman tore the paper towel dispensers off the wall in the visiting locker room to get his team fired up. On the field the Dawgs pounded the Ducks in the first half.
Then at halftime their band came onto the field, and in the middle of whatever they were playing, they suddenly broke into the Oregon fight song in a waltz. The whole stadium booed. Then the teams came back out and Washington pounded the Ducks some more for a final score of 32-3. The band leader later said they only meant to "honor" the Ducks. All the while any Husky fans in the stands (and there were a lot of them) would not sit down, would not shut up. They kept turning around pointing to us, laughing.
"OK. It's official," I thought, "I hate Washington." And I hope a nuclear submarine in Bremerton blows up and destroys the entire Puget Sound.

Here is the point that the above posts keep making. If you don't have a reason for hating the Huskies, you have never been an Oregon fan at a Husky game. Duck fans are not born to hate the Huskies, they learn it through horrible experiences with Husky fans, Husky players, Husky coaches, the Husky band, Husky cheerleaders, Husky flag team, even Husky bus drivers.

An eighth consecutive win over Washington means two full generations of four-year Duck students having never experienced how a victorious Husky acts. We alums can try to warn them what it's like, but they won't really know until they experience it themselves. Because even after seven consecutive losses, one Husky win and it's like giving purple gremlins water after midnight.

We cannot allow the Huskies to win their final game at their ugly crumbling stadium. It would be so poetic if Oregon swings the first blows to destroy that wasteland.

I hope the Ducks make history by being the answer to the trivia question, "Who scored the final points in old Husky Stadium before they tore it down?"  Darron Thomas? LaMJ? I'll even settle for a field goal.

Seven consecutive wins? It's not enough. Eight is not enough. Talk to me again at 80.

Wanna see the Huskies at their Huskiest? Roll the ugliness . . .


Finally, let me cleanse your pallet with this. From AllDuckedOut:


Gametime 7:30 Pacific on Root/FSN.

BTW I was just kidding about the whole nuclear sub, Puget Sound thing. Sorry. It's just these Huskies . . . . They bring it out of me . . . Well, you understand, don't you?

--KB

No comments: